Friday, October 31, 2014

Sweet Treats and Secret Chrushes

9780810989900.jpgI read the book called Sweet Treats & Secret Crushes by Lisa Greenwald. This book is about three seventh grade girls who are all best friends named Olivia, who acts like a journalist, Kate who is boy crazy, and Georgia who just goes with the flow.They live in Brooklyn, New York and valentines day was soon approaching them. The night before valentines day they had heard a lot of snow was on the way and they possibly could have a snow day on Valentines Day. This couldn’t happen though they all three had crushes on someone and they were anticipating this day all year long. They woke up the next day and it was a confirmed snow day. Of course they were upset about this but they had to do something. Georgia's family had owned a restaurant on the bottom floor of the apartment complex and they also did a big event on valentines day. They were famous for their fortune cookies since they weren’t like others, they were “magical”. Georgia's mom had decided she would teach them the recipe and they would make fortunes and fortune cookies and go around the building and give them to people for free. Kate was excited for it since she heard that her crush was going to a friends house who happened to live in the same building, Olivia was happy, and Georgia was hiding her emotions, nobody knew who she liked but they knew something was up with her recently. This story is a really good book for a girl in middle school I think and I enjoyed the book. You’ll just gave to read the book to find out how the whole day turns out. I think that the theme of this you shouldn’t worry about other people, and only worry about the people who love you and yourself because weren't adults.


The author wrote in three points of view, Olivia’s, Kate’s and Georgia’s and she usually switched off each chapter. The author also included some letters, text, and some things that Olivia would write in her journal. I think that the author wrote like this because she wanted to show or tell everyones thoughts on what was going on and also I think she wrote like this just to give you more of an image or more of something for you to go off of when you're reading it.


Something that surprised me was in the beginning when Olivia wouldn’t stop talking about her crush, and writing about him in a journal and she would never even talk to him she would just write things like what he was wearing and things like that. Georgia had ripped out a page and it caused a lot of drama. Another thing that surprised me was when they revealed Georgia’s crush. I didn’t like that this book took place over two days because it was a pretty long boof for just one holiday.


This book taught me that you should live your life the way you want to and not how other people want you. You shouldn’t worry about other’s people opinion of you and you should just live your life. I think that the theme is the two things that I said above but also that you shouldn’t let little things like boys separate you from your friends because boys aren’t providing anything for you at this age, just worry about the people that love you and yourself because were too young to live like adults.


My feelings and emotions to this book were good. I was laughing and happy for the majority of the book but other times I was sad and surprised when there was drama or something was revealed/ told. One question that I have is for Georgia and in the beginning I was just confused why she never told anyone her crush and why she was always acting down? This book hasn’t been made into a movie but if it were I would definitely watch it. This is a great book and I would recommend it to a lot of people.


3 comments:

  1. I think I might want to read this book. I liked how you included every girls name and you didn't just say "these three girls were disappointed because of a snow day on the one day they wanted to go to school." You made the reader want to read more to figure out what is going to happen next. What was interesting about your blog is you included everything you were supposed to and you had a lot of details on why you liked it and your emotions about this book. I had one question though. Why didn't they just text the guys about how they feel? I suggest that you reread before you post the blog entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really good book for teenage girls. I personally wouldn't read it but I bet there are a lot of girls out there who would love to read this and actually relate to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned that these teenage girls are crazy for boys and basically couldn’t survive without them. I thought it was interesting that the girls got famous for their fortune cookies and thats something you don’t hear everyday. How could you get popular by having magical fortune cookies? I think you did an awesome job on your blog, so keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete